Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Waveguided Radar Level Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

applekor

Electrical
Mar 29, 2006
US
Hello all,

I'm in the process of evaluating level sensor technologies for a storage tank solution. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience or knowledge of waveguide radar. In particular I'm curious as to whether the radar signal can be successfully passed through any particular solid (i.e. glass, plexiglass, composites, etc.) materials or if it has to have unimpeded sight to the liquid interface.

I did a bit of searching on Google and these forums, but didn't really see too much that matched. If there is a better forum for this topic please let me know.

TIA
Mike

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have not seen a radar level gauge shot through a solid.

I would think that the solid surface would also reflect the wave back. The dielectric range, as given by Magnetrol is 1.4 - 100. I know that the radar wave can penetrate dust, some foam and such, but I have never seen it go through a solid of any sort.

Typically, you would shoot it directly down at the surface interface in a fixed roof tank, or use a stilling well through a floating roof tank.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

I should also add that the GWR can also be used in a bridle.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein

Ash:

Right. That was my understanding as well, but the instrument will be in styrene service, and I am trying to avoid stalagtite formation on the guide. The styrene is inhibited and blanketed, but the length of stay time has resulted in tank surface coating in the past.

Thanks for the reply,

Mike

applekor,

Fouling is a problem. For fouling, there are some ways to deal with it:
a) find a material that won't foul - not so easy
b) a continuous stream of purge gas/solvent to clean the probe - expensive
c) pull - clean - reinstall - time consuming

Would heat work? I was thinking of a constant stream of heated inert gas once in a while?

Albert Einstein

We've used standard radar for Styrene service with luck. We do have to clean the cone every six months. But it's better than using guided wave and having to clean in every six months....which you will have to do. We've used E&H.

Becuase of the cleaning frequency, a lot of our plants stick to using DP cells.

is nuclear level detection out of the question? It seems to me that any fouling buildup on the walls would not effect its accuracy as the liquid it is "detecting" is a lot more dense.

All:

Thanks for the replies, I've got a better idea now on what I'm looking at having to do. As far as nuclear goes, we are kinda hesitant at adding new sources to the site.

Thanks,

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back