Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wavelinked Geometry Management Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam1986

Industrial
Feb 28, 2013
GB
With regards to the wavelinked part in the parent , what is the best way to manage it.

Alot of people have said that after creating the wavelink, the child part should be suppressed, However i have also heard that it should be hidden and put on a different layer from the work layer (Either way, it needs to be removed from the parent reference set)

Having experienced both methods, I have still found problems when updating the child.
After opening the parent, the child does not automatically update (IS there a feature that will force an update)
Sometimes i have found that even though the child has been updated, the geometry the wavelink is looking at is still out of date).

What are peoples recommendations for controlling and managing wavelinks to get the most efficent update?

NOTE:
When refering to child part, im meaning the casting
When refering to the parent part, im meaning the machining (removal of material from the casting)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We use "wave geometry linker" for our machining parts and apply the checkbox "associative" for the casting body wavelink definition. We then change the reference set to "empty" on the casting component. The casting geometry updates in the machining automatically. I do not recommend hiding the casting because it does not stay hidden when you assemble the machining part somewhere.

NX 7.5.5.4 MP09.

hmmm, maybe its the associative box im missing.
We only hide the casting for clarity reasons, ie to make sure we are removing material from the wavelinked geometry and not the part (although it wont let you select the part anyway. Because the "model" ref set only contains the machined part, this is what appears in the drawing and when added to any assemblies
I will try things using your method and see if it clears the problem.

Thanks!

Adam1986,

Having the assembly load options set to partial loading "on" and load interpart to "none", could also prevent the update from occurring.

HTH,

Joe

There is also a setting Customer defaults assemblies and then interpart modeling tab that is called delay geometry and expressions. I like having this switched on my self. What I have had issues with, is when I have the RM and Machine part both out and I am modifiying the RM, the machine model will always update when I make a feature the current feature in the rm. Then it take so long to update to the current feature in the RM because the machine model is always updating. So there is also a command called update all. I use this when I want to update my machine to RM model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back