Ways to determine the requirement of Standpipe system

Status
Not open for further replies.

gradfire

Specifier/Regulator
May 29, 2013
GB
Greetings to all.

Here in UAE, I am currently working on a project where i have got number of detached buildings for different usages such as assembly, business, storage etc with some of them are only one or two storey and having floor areas ranging from 500-800 square meter. Regarding provision of standpipe system for them, I have three part questions here.

55.4 of NFPA 5000 code list the condition in which standpipe requires. from first and second I interpret that building less than 4 stories shall not require standpipe riser (vertical). Right ?

- And in what condition wet standpipe riser is required i.e. for what building height, there is need of wet riser standpipe.

-And in what condition we require horizontal class I and Class II standpipe (Includes hose reel and 38.5 mm hose rack system) ? Is there any area limitation which could be applied in determining the application for horizontal standpipe. for example: building in three stories height will not require class I standpipe as per 55.4 but what if each floors area is huge ( more than 1000 square meter and so on). won't we need horizontal standpipe to assist fire fighters by providing 65 mm lading valve and 25 mm bore hose reel for first aid fire fighting by occupants before the fire fighter arrives.

I have read at places in different occupancy chapters of NFPA 101 asking for class I standpipe for certain areas. But, that was not enough. Requesting inputs here for finding answer and offcourse correct me if i am missing anything from code or interpreting wrongly.

Best Regards,
Prakash Ahir

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Where standpipes are required is set by the building code and not the NFPA standards.

The NFPA standards tells us how to design standpipes but not what buildings where they are required.

Are the buildings sprinkled??

You question has to many variables

Yes if the project is under nfpa 101 or 5000
That will dictate when they are required

Core question is that - In what conditions ( mainly for what floor size) I should recommend to provide horizontal standpipe.
In UAE code, up 900 square meter area of single largest floor or largest compartment only Dry riser system is required. Above 900 Wet riser is required. IS THERE ANYTHING IN NFPA OR IBC TO SORT OUT THIS QUESTION ? till now, I have not found anything from internet either.

55.4, NFPA 5000 requires 65 mm landing valve riser from building with more than 3 stories. question is what if building is only 3 storey but floor area of each is lets say more than 2000 square. Offcourse we shall be providing class III standpipe considering huge area at risk. But, there should be some sort of reference in NFPA standards to support our strategy.

For example. I have a non-sprinklered recreation building which is having gym, one party hall and two offices. I have recommended hose reel plus extinguisher to fight small scale fire. Building would have private hydrant protection. Now, client's fire protection system designer is not accepting proposal since there is not any clear guidance in NFPA about this.

Basically, I would like to say there should be through guidance to recommend various type of standpipe (I,II or III) in various occupancies.

once again your question has to many variables

1. start with the building code, nfpa 101 or 5000, which ever one is specfified for the particular project.

2. determine occupancy type

3. size of space or building

4. occupant load

than go through the code for the project and see if it requires anything, or requires something.

5. If nothing is required---- stoop

6. if something is required---- than what ever the code says and nothing more

it is cookbook building design.

The basic answer to your question is found in NFPA 5000, Section 55.4 which lays out the requirements for standpipes in buildings. If the building is < 4 stories in height, a standpipe is not required. If the building is four or more stories in height or is > 15 m above the grade plan and has intermediate stories or balconies, then a standpipe is required. The requirements for either an automatic, manual, wet or dry standpipe will be found in NFPA 14 or the occupancy specific chapters of NFPA 5000.

Thanks a lot for all replies. Below is what NFPA technical question responder had to say about this:

Dear PRAKASH AHIR,

1) Section 55.4 of NFPA 5000 tells you all the conditions that require standpipes. You are correct in your interpretation that buildings less than 4 stories do not require standpipes in accordance with (1), however you need to consider the other factors mentioned in (2), (3), and (4) as you may have a building less than 4 stories above grade but goes below grade. You also need to comply with the requirements for the type of occupancy, for example an assembly occupancy is covered in 16.3.5.2 of NFPA 5000 and has much more prescriptive requirements. In addition, the requirements may vary from chapter 55.
2) In accordance with NFPA 14, 5.4.1 you may use dry standpipes and manual standpipes up until the point at which a building becomes classified as a high-rise. Once it is classified as a high-rise the system must be automatic or semi-automatic wet. NFPA 14 defines a high-rise in the definition section as any building where the floor of an occupiable story is greater than 75 ft (23 m) above the lowest level of fire department vehicle access.
3) The use of horizontal standpipes or vertical standpipes is not dictated by the standard this is a design decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back