Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ways to Increase Wood Beam Bearing Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

T_Bat

Structural
Jan 9, 2017
US
Hey Everyone,

I have a few heavily loaded multiply LSL beams that are bearing on a double 2x pine top plate. My triple ply beam woorks for everything except sill plate bearing (or I guess crushing really). Instead of adding more plies is it possible to nail blocks on each side of the beam at bearing to increase the bearing area? You would end up to something similar to squash blocks beside and plywood web joist. Seems reasonable to me but I'm not sure if I'm missing something. There is porbably some nail slip/deformation that will allow some movement but is this something anyone else has done?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check My-ti-con. They're in Canada and sell to the USA as well. They have design guides and testing information for their products. I think all of these fasteners are from Europe.

Do you have a link for that?

Lots of these European based fasteners are coming into our market. It's driven by cross lam. I recently used a 45-degree washer to screw the top flange of a steel beam to the underside of an existing top plate. It saved me adding a nailer to the top of the beam. The client appreciated the extra headroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back