Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Ways to secure/weld studs/bolts to a plate

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCSU1980

Mechanical
Jan 29, 2008
I need to weld or secure bolts to a steel plate that will be an mounting adapter plate. We are replacing an older gearbox (quite large, about 800 pounds) with a newer one, which, of course, has a different bolt hole pattern. The adapter plate will have studs protruding down into the old bolt holes of the original mount, and have studs protruding up to match the bolt holes in the new gearbox. I plan on making holes through the plate (about 1/2" plate) for 3/4" studs and welding the studs into place from the back side, possibly with a chamfer in the hole to get a good weld (The back side of the plate at each stud must be flush). I understand that something like this was done before and a stud wrung off when tightened during installation. I know that welding will weaken the studs. Any suggestions? Bolt or stud? Material? How to weld? Where to weld? Shape of hole? Thanks, Steve

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What about threaded Nelson studs? Even if you can't shoot them in your application, they should be weldable, no? (Shear studs may be fillet-welded, so I'm generalizing.)

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

I'd be inclined to tap the adapter plate, thread the studs in, and secure them with Dutch pins.

(e.g. small roll pins installed in blind holes drilled parallel to the stud axis but offset through the thread pitch cylinder.)

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

There is a simple solution to have blind fixings for non-weldable bolts.

Get a tubular wrench head from the hardware for each bolt (i.e the type you interchange for a ratchet spanner) put this around the head of the bolt on the blind side, and weld this to the plate rather than the bolt head.

This will be sufficient to tighten the bolt.

Countersink the backside of the plate deep enough so that a flathead screw can be welded in place. The countersink geometry of the flathead screw keeps the screw from pulling through and the weld prevents the screw from turning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back