We are machining an aerospace aluminum connector shell out of 6061. Th 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobeth

Mechanical
Jan 14, 2000
US
Visit site
We are machining an aerospace aluminum connector shell out of 6061. The geometry is complex and requires CNC machining. I was wondering if there is any better material selection for aluminum CNC machining as well as recommendations of CNC shops to do this job. Any advice is welcomed. Thank you in advance.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br> <p>William H. Bernhart, P.E.<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the geometry is complex and difficult to machine, how about trying a sintered metal approach.&nbsp;&nbsp;There are several vendors that can make complex parts from sintered metal or metal injection molding also comes to light.&nbsp;&nbsp;Why does this have to be made from aluminum?<br>Let me know if you need anything else.<br> <p>Edson Campos<br><a href=mailto:edsoncampos@earthlink.net>edsoncampos@earthlink.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

You might also want to look into investment casting as a manufacturing alternative. There is a company in New Hampshire that has a WEB site explaining the process.&nbsp;&nbsp;The Hitchner Co.<br><br>Don Leffingwell<br><A HREF="mailto:dleffingwell@snet.net">dleffingwell@snet.net</A>

Thank you for the resopnses. <p>William H. Bernhart, P.E.<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>I work as a senior development engineer for AMP - Tyco Electronics located near Harrisburg, PA. I help design interconnections for areospace applications.

I may be getting into this late but I work for an aerospace contracting firm.&nbsp;&nbsp;We offer CNC machining and utilize a unigraphics platform for our programing and dedign interface.&nbsp;&nbsp;I am not certain of the complexity and application of the connection, but we excell at round engine compnents and shaft work. <br><br>As far as the amlumium grade the 6061 seems like a good choice if corrosion resistance is primary.&nbsp;&nbsp;We mostly work with inconel and titanium.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Feel free to drop me an e-mail if you need info on the manufacturing protion.&nbsp;&nbsp;

Thank you.........Bill B. <p>William H. Bernhart, P.E.<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>I work as a development engineer for AMP - Tyco Electronics located near Harrisburg, PA. I help design interconnections / electrical connectors for aerospace applications.

You might look into several of the 2000 series aluminums - some of them machine much better than 6061 and have good properties. You have to ballance corrosion and strength and cost.<br><br>CNC machining (especially a lathe!) from bar stock is hard to beat for several hundred units.&nbsp;&nbsp;Castings etc all have some accuracy and consistancy concerns - you have to prove each is ok, but with bar stock, you do your material proof once per bar...&nbsp;&nbsp;Of course each finished part either way will be penetrant inspected if it flys.<br><br>For THOUSANDS of parts, you've got options, because then you can afford the high quality (and cost) tooling that will produce good parts that are accurate and don't require much secondary machining.<br><br>It's flying - how cheap do you want to get???&nbsp;&nbsp;500mph 8 miles up....&nbsp;&nbsp;Big smoking holes...<br>

For ease of machining try 7075-t651 or t6 AL,<br>It will machine easier that 6061, will provide a better finish, plus its not gummy like 6061 and will not bould up on the tool while taking deep heavy cuts. (I have a few 6061 parts on the shelf that were running when the coolant decided to stop running, the tool chips very quickly weld themselves back into the parent material, and onto the tool too damaging the part, and wasting an expensive tool!)<br><br>I have a friend who works for an aerospace connector company, and all there connectors are machined from AL barstock, I dont think they cast or sinter at all<br>regards Dave Cam<br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new">

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back