Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

we have problem with alum sludge, p

Status
Not open for further replies.

we have problem with alum sludge, produced from enhanced coagulation of water. sludge is discharged to Wastewater treatment plant, it is causing odor and some other problems in Wastewater treatment plant operation.
If any one have experiance with this problem please help me.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What are the quantity of flows invloved? The size of the WWTP and the volume of discharge and time of discharge? I would hesitate to think that the alum is the problem at the WWTP and in my experience it is ALWAYS beneficial to some degree. Hovwever, the way in which the alum reaches the plant does cause problems sometimes in the hydraulics of conveyance. It may cause slugs of flow in the conveyance system which in turn moves septic solids settled in the mains to the WWTP.

Please give us a bit more infor if you can...

Bob PE

Please specify the problems occured a bit. Check the pH value of the influent and within the activated sludge tank. Depending on the amount of alum sludge that is the only problem I can think of from top of my head.

It could be a number of things.

> Did you just start discharging to WWTP? Process may be adapting, but I agree with other responder that it may improve process (but, see below).
> EnCoag may be removing more organics, or supressing treatment pH, which may make it more susceptible to going anaerobic during conveyance to WWTP.
> With EnCoag, did you change coagulants?
> Do you batch discharge, or is it on a regular basis? If you're sending a big dose on a night shift when other contributing flows are low, you could be overloading WWTP.

Give me a call if you want to discuss further

814-867-1477 or e-mail, jdewolfe@mcguireinc.com

Waste Water Treatment Plant are generally not designed to accept your alum sludge, and if your discharge is huge, it will surely cause problems to their operations.

You may consider these two issues:

1. Instead of discharing the sludge to the WWTP, use centrifudges/presses or similar to dry it and dump for landfills.

2. Dilute the alum sludge before discharging to the WWTP, so that the amount of alum sludge will not be too significant compare with the inflow of sewage. The amount of dilution will be mainly based on the process of the WWTP.

Hope these can help

Have you considered alternate uses for the sludge?

What is it's detail chemical analysis? Alumina? Sodium? Potassium? etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back