Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wealthy Engineers 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

pavlik

Mechanical
Dec 2, 2003
US
I haven't met many rich engineers. Principals at engineering firms are typically well paid, but that is about the extent of it. Why?

Anyone knows a rich engineer and how she/he got there?
The way I see it:
i). Open up own practice;
ii). Rise up through the ranks of an established firm, ending up with the company's shares.
iii). Get an MBA and go work for a venture capitalist firm.
vi). Get a PhD in Applied Physics/Math and go work for a hedge fund.
v). Marry rich.
iv). Patent an idea, and see item i).
iiv). Inherit estate, win money or read Trump's "How To Get Rich" book ok...maybe that wouldn't help you :)

I am very scared of turning 40 one day and realizing that all I am worth is a meager $75,000. Very scared...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

waskillywabbit,
I'm not so familiar with the Greek, but the translation I have certainly states "the love of money is...", and not just "money is...", which is where a big difference lies. IRStuff was correct in this aspect at least.

I should have copied the entire quote...what I meant was

"the love of money is A root of all evil" not "the love of money is THE root of all evil"

You get the idea...

Much of our English translations leave much to be desired when compared to the original Greek texts.

I hate not being able to edit these posts.

Brian

Opinions expressed are my own and are not those of the company.

I know one wealthy engineer, he got that way by working 16 hour days, seven days a week, then hiring others to work for him and do the same.

What a life, though! Maybe $10 million in the bank but spends every waking hour writing specs and drawing systems....

Not for me. I make a really nice chunk of money but by the time I pay all my ex-wives I have take-home pay that's about equivalent to the folks who stuff the tacos and burritos. I know it's possible to have a happy and peaceful existence with little money and material things...

Ahhh....

Old Dave

1 Timothy 6:10 (King James Version)
King James Version (KJV)
Public Domain

10For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

A few other versions have the same translation. Obviously, there are other interpretations of that passage, but they're watered down, in my opinion.

TTFN

"10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil,"

NRSV

NIV

Greek
I'd post it for you to but then you'd just have to take my word for it...but the article "the" is clearly not there before the word "root" thus the correct article is "a"...one little article, lots of difference.

While I realize that the KJV/NKJV are beloved translations, they are quite often flawed in translation of the original Greek text, as this is but ONE of the instances...being able to read/translate both Hebrew and Greek has its advantages for something I guess.

Now what was this post about again?

Brian

Opinions expressed are my own and are not those of the company.

Pavlik, based upon your original post I suspect that you consider your income to be a measure of your professional success. Is that correct? If it is, then that is a poor metric for measuring success, in my opinion. There are many professionals that earn a higher average salary than most engineers can ever hope to make during their lifetimes. A good example of this might be a Wall Street stock analyst, or a well known movie actor. I wouldn't consider such a person to be any more of a success than an engineer simply because they make much more money. Some of these people can excel in their chosen professions, but be miserable failures as human beings. You state that you are afraid of turning 40 one day to find that you are only worth $75,000 to an employer. Well, that is the reality for MANY engineers out there today. I personally know engineers who are close to retirement age who have never made that kind of money. I myself have never made that salary, and I am over 40.

Success is self-defined. This is true regardless of what anyone else tells you to the contrary. It is NOT an absolute. It is for you to decide, based upon what you believe constitutes a successful career goal, on whether or not you have attained it.

Maui

The lack of a indefinite article in Greek seems to be a continual source of controversy in translation and requires interpretation of the context and intent of the writer.

TTFN

Maui-

I agree. I don't know any engineers that make that kind of money. In this part of the country I have seen jobs advertised for 55k and I know of some that pay far less than that. The first thing head hunters want to know is how much you are getting and what year you graduated high school. That tells you that employers are looking to pay as little as they can.

Maybe in California you can get a lot more money, but what do you pay for a house- at least 250k? Mine is worth 120k and is 20 minutes from work.

Making lots of money may come with a price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back