Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weapon and Ammunition Storage 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcwalter

Mechanical
Jun 24, 2013
US
Greetings,

Long time reader first time poster. A quick note on my background. I am new to the HVAC field (7 months) after working at a steel mill for a year after graduating from school with a B.S.M.E. I am on my second "start-to-finish" project after helping out here and there and learning as much as I can about this industry. Enough about me and on to my question!

I am working on a sheriff's office currently. Our preliminary plan has a "Gun" room and an "Armory". I will find out what the distinction between the two rooms are soon, however it is clear weapons and ammunition will be stored here. Rooms are not large, roughly 8' x 10' each. The client specifically asked for extra dehumidification for weapons storage to prevent corrosion I imagine. I have looked through NFPA and ASHRAE, and while I have found other good bits of info, I haven't found anything regarding a specific %RH or temperature to hit for this kind of space.

Would anyone have a good starting place to find a number? I want to be able to speak intelligently about this if it comes up in a meeting. Searching around the internet, I have heard 50% RH, 30%RH, doesn't matter, etc. One person in our office suggested using a small plug-in type dehumidifier and that would be sufficient, but I would like some justification to using even that!

Thank you for the help, if further information is required let me know!

Jon

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

> All military equipment are usually specified to tolerate up to +71ºC and 100% non-condensing humidity
> Obviously, lower humidity will minimize the probability of corrosion
> However, low humidity can result in electrostatic discharges, which are REALLY BAD for certain explosives.
> Therefore, as indicated on pg. 11-7 and 12-7 in the 3rd citation below, humidity in the 50-60% range is probably the most reasonable.
> The best approach to manage corrosion is to ensure that the weapons are well maintained

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Thank you for the assistance! I know have a new resource to search and something to show the client if they ask for my opinion on conditions.

The other main issue for the design of the ventilation system is the Armory where they clean the guns. The cleaning solvents must be ventilated well and usually a shrouded exhaust hood over the cleaning bench is needed, plus the requisite make-up air, that has to be tempered and de-humidified if this project is in a humid climate zone. Check the local OSHA and NIOSH requirements for the cleaning solvents ventilation requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back