Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Web address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terratek

Geotechnical
Oct 17, 2014
US
I have posted some questions about web addresses in the past which were well answered. That thread is now closed, and I have another question.

[ul]
[li]Suppose you have a company named "Yardman".[/li]
[li]Suppose the web address is taken.[/li]
[li]Suppose is available. Also is available.[/li]
[/ul]

Which of the available web addresses would you prefer and why? The name used above was for hypothetical purposes and is not the actual name.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Either, but talk the existing site into trading links with you on the homepage, assuming you're not competitors.

"This is Yardman lawn service. If you were you looking for Yardman the superhero, click here."

First thing I did before naming my company is look at web addresses.

Dan - Owner
URL]

Don't be like me. I spent a decade telling people, "No, not 'ímage tech.' It's pronounced imagitec, like 'ímagination' and 'technology'. No, no, it's not spelled with a 'ch'. Or a 'k'. Just a 'c'. i. m. a. g. i. t. e. c. Oh, and it's '.net', not '.com.' "

I rebranded to practicalprecision.com a little over a year ago, and I'm so thankful I did.

Of the two choices you give, "yardman.co" is preferable to "yard-man.com". You don't want to spend a decade effectively telling people your company is "yard dash man".

yardmanengineering.com or similar would be better.

Better yet would be a clear, memorable brand with meaning.

- Rob Campbell, PE
Learn precision engineering at [link practicalprecision.com]practicalprecision.com[/url]

The "dot com" domain name is the most recognized across the world, so unless you are operating out of Colombia, I'd think you should try to keep with the "dot com" domain name.

Generally, .edu is for schools and such, and .gov is for governments, so for a commercial company, I would stay away from those two. .org was primarily intended for non-profit organizations, but there's never been a firm restriction on that.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

I don't know how much people follow and even know convention. Lance Armstrong funneled a lot of money to Livestrong.com from Livestrong.org. Pretty pathetic, siphoning money from non-profit.

As for bad names, I recently saw a car with the license plate "THERAPST". My first thought was, who wants to be known as 'The Rapist'. When I past the car and saw that the driver was female, I concluded she was probably a therapist.

Does the company name have a suffix like LLC or corp or inc? Might want to include that in the domain to differentiate it.
Or, make an imperative sentence from it: chooseYardman.com, specYardman.com, buyYardman.com, contactYardman.com, callYardman.com .

I used to count sand. Now I don't count at all.

Consider too, the ease or difficulty of spelling out your domain name (web address) if you choose to configure email addresses as well. In that case it won't just be getting people to look at your website, but it will also involve spelling out the same domain for your email, which is another reason why long names can be difficult.

EDMS Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back