Web-based engineering software

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngWade

Civil/Environmental
Aug 5, 2009
US
All,

Looking for any insight here, and I apologize for the vagueness, but there is a gag order on the project. I'm tasked with researching the feasibility of a web-based program that will utilize a GUI and reference a database that will perform calculations, and spit the results back to the web-based program. Any ideas on what software language might be best for this? I've been looking into Visual Basic so far, but would like some opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the replies. I think ideally, this program would be web-based, but might have the option of being downloaded, so it could reside on one's local harddrive to speed up computations. After which, the results would be returned back to the web for storage and archiving on "our" server. That's an option being debated at the moment, anyway. Java wouldn't be able to accomodate this, right?

I will check on Tek-Tips, too. Thanks for the tip.

IRStuff, you seem to be a pretty good resource, thanks for all the responses. What you say makes a lot of sense, and I know that one of the ultimate paths for this project is to end up on mobile devices. Apparently I will need to do more research on the capabilities of Java. I assume Java can communicate with databases (Access, Excel, etc.) and support graphical user interfaces?

Java is what you want. No need to ask more questions. It was built from the ground up to do exactly the tasks you're asking about.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

It sounds like you want a page (mobile or standard) to take input, then run the calculations(on said input) on your server and output results to a webpage (mobile or standard) Since the calculations run on your server, many technologies can be employed: .NET would work on a MS based server, and perl, python, java(server-side) or C++ would be good choices for a *nix based server.

Keep in mind that any runtimes (such as java) that run on the client machine are easier to compromise or copy.

Tim Grote - The Irrigation Engineers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back