Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web between intersecting cylinders 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

guimba

Mechanical
Jan 22, 2009
US
Hello, I'd like to make a web between the two intersecting cylinders in the attached pic. I tried the rib command but that doesn't work and says I can only have one open profile. Any hints? Thanks!

Engineering isn't about perfect solutions; it's about doing the best you can with limited resources. - Randy Pausch

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks Scott, I think I know what you're getting at. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to open up your file as we are still using '08 around here. I did do a midplane extrude using the inner diameter silhouette edge of the tubes and that worked, but I need to be careful not to make the thickness too great or I end up with a gap at the cylinder/web interface. I was hoping for a command that would blend the two by sketching a profile and providing a thickness. Apparently, rib only works for planar faces?

Engineering isn't about perfect solutions; it's about doing the best you can with limited resources. - Randy Pausch

Thanks BluTurtle, but I cannot open anything newer than '08. Maybe it's time my company updated!

Sorry abt the bad files links. Here are the better images.

K4b-vd1kiayHQPdyu0Vtfg

Bt0o_H6RY7bkWaB9CVuoFw

Hmmm...seems the rib feature only works when the sketched line does not contact either tube. If I start the line coincident with one of the tube rims it says the resulting rib did not intersect the existing model. Same on your end?

Nope works even when I gave a coincidence constraint for the ends of the line to both the cylinders.

While constraining, I selected the end point of the line & selected the edge of the cylinder & choose coincident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back