Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web Holes in Steel Beams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Structural
Mar 27, 2013
CA
I am designing a simple 5.4m span steel beam that supports three concentrated loads. The client wants to put twelve circular holes with a diameter ranging from 2" to maximum 4". I am using CISC 9th edition as my reference and according to my analysis using W610x140 is good. The concentrated loads are 282 kN, 570 kN and 600kn with a distance from the left support of 0.5m, 2.4m and 4.4m respectively (loads are factored). Again, the beam is okay after following the design guidelines in the CISC. However my concern is according to CISC, concentrated loads directly above hole locations should be avoided or be at least 'd' (beam depth) from either end of a hole. Some of the holes will violate this requirement. Should I have to worry about these holes which I think are relatively small compare with the depth of the beam?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

maybe it's obvious to you structural types, but how deep is your beam?

if you think the web can handle the loads and the cut-outs then go for it.

if you prefer to follow the guidence, ask for them to be nudged out of the way.
or is there a pressing reason putting the holes where they are (in which case you have to suck it up) ?

if the loads are truly point loads, do you have a stiffener running down the web, supporting the web, distributing the load ?

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

The beam is 617mm (24.3") deep. I am planning to add horizontal stiffeners top and bottom of the holes although the design pass unreinforced holes. The concentrated loads are secondary beam framing on to the principal beam (W610x140). The holes will not be directly on the holes but roughly 6" to 24" from the holes.

"The holes will not be directly on the holes ... " ? (it looks like you type the way i do ... looking at the keyboard)

s/b "The loads will not be directly on the holes" ?

sure, reinforce the holes, but i'd put web stiffeners under the point loads before horizontal stiffeners reinforcing the web holes.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I have done a bit of work on cells and cut outs of steel beams and as mentioned that its best practise to endusre you are a minimum of D away from an opening but for a small hole (11cm max on a 54cm deep web gives you a steel ration of 0.2) I woulnd tbe all the worried. However I would still do a quick check on the top and bottom ts to ensure that they cant take the stress. How far away is you next hole?

For tight, regularly spaced wholes we often refer to them as castellated beams. There are companies in the US and UK that make them. CSC in the US actually provides a free copy of Ram SBeam to help with the design in fact. I think Westok might do similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back