Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Web Local Crippling and Web Yielding

Status
Not open for further replies.

bear24

Structural
Jul 5, 2019
US
I am designing a simple beam to column shear connection for a W-Shape with a high end reaction. The web of the beam is going to frame into the web of the column with simple shear clips (angles). Do the failure methods of web local yielding or web local crippling apply in this situation? If so, what is used as the length of bearing?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

bear24 said:
Do the failure methods of web local yielding or web local crippling apply in this situation?

I would say that they do not apply. As long as your calculation are in order for the design of the the bolts etc, you should be covered.

In fundamental terms, similar failure modes surely apply where bolts bear against the beam web. I believe that's baked into the cake of bolt design, however, and would naturally force an appropriate spread of load out among the various fasteners.

I'd've thought that both (yielding and crippling) are potential modes of failure, possibly in extreme designs.

I'll accept that typical design guides may keep you out of trouble.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Ok, I have been following the AISC shear design examples and they don't mention it. I just wanted double check. Thanks for the replies.

From AISC Chapter J section 10 the limit states of web local yielding and web local crippling apply to:

"single- and double-concentrated forces applied normal to the flange(s) of wide flange sections and similar built-up shapes."

As you are connecting to the web of the column I would not anticipate having to check these limit states.

Assuming your connection transfers only shear, then you should only need to check the typical connection limit states (bolt bearing on the column web).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back