Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web sites with Front Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngineerDave

Bioengineer
Aug 22, 2002
US
Guys,

I'm interested in starting a webpage with some commonly used links for my career and work learning. It won't be a professional site, but I want it to look good obviously.

I've used Microsoft Front Page to create one, but most of the free sites don't work well with Front Page 2000.

Can anyone recommend me a good free site that does work well with Front Page. I'd prefer to publish what I've made instead of using the generic page builders that many sites have.

I've tried Angelfire and Geocities and had problems with each free site.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might want to consider that people not using Micro$oft's internet explorer might not be able to view your webpage. Thus, anyone using a Mac, or like me using Mozilla under Linux, and older versions of Netscape under windows won't be able to see anything on your webpage.

Just a thought!

Hi Dave,
While using the Front page for building a site, and when we publish on the free avialable net space, we found some problem, just because of some directory, created with the front page have the name which are not allowed to create on those websites..

and generally we don't need those directory, so if u delete those directory, u will be able to publish your site without any problem.

the directory necessary for publishing are as follows.
_derived
_themes

other than these u can delete, so u can save space as well as u can publish ur site without problem. If u can Dream it, Think it then surely u can do it.

I had used geocities for a couple of years with frontpage 2000 and it worked pretty good. I did finally go to a service that charges 8.95 a month and allows 25 E-mail addresses, MS Access Databases, and all FP server extensions.

My site is at and you can see some of the features.

The provider I use is Winsave.com. There are others that are even cheaper.

Have a good day Gerald Austin
Iuka, Mississippi

Thanks for the tips guys I will look into it.

Geocities doesn't seem to work so well with FrontPage at this time, but I'll try Pradeeps tips.

look here for tips and tricks etc

forum253

What you may have to do is to turn off the use of extension in front page to remove all the excess and mainly useless code that FP adds to the pages. There are better ways of putting in the effects that FP uses, this will allow the site to work on any server and with any browser.

Chris.

For my website I build it with Frontpage and then I use SmartFTP to upload it to the free host. It seems to work better than uploading from Frontpage. The host I use is It seems to work well for the most part. They offer paid services but I am only using the free stuff.

If you need any further info or help please contact me.

kkna94@hotmail.com

Thanks for all the tips guys.

I've been working on a simple webpage and obtaining numerous professional and numerous links.

I'll try the suggestions in the next few weeks as I finish the site.

I really just want to upload it to a free site, and then use that as my start page to quickly access my links.

AlliedCP, do you have to modify your frontpage (the same way as the others talk of) at all before uploading it with SmartFTP?

It looks like the free one doesn't allow Front Page extensions, but it sounds like it works for you.

I'll give it a try this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back