Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Wedge Calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Jboggs, thank you for the reply however it is not a productive one. This isn’t homework it’s something I’m trying to calculate for work.
Do you know how to do this?

Screenshot_2024-08-13_at_21.27.20_xv5ftw.png

We have to assume that all friction is dynamic friction as a start. For certain if this was homework that should have been a given.

One problem is that, by specifying the 300 kN (little k, capital N for Isaac Newton) is that unless there is an exact balance the mass will be accelerated upwards, assuming the 300 kN is high enough not to slip backwards. Also, kg is not a force; it needs to be multiplied by G (~9.81 m/sec^2 near the surface of the Earth) to produce the force.

The side force is just the force required to push the weight up the 25º hill with the given amounts of friction on the upper wedge. I think it will require an iterative solution to make a guess, starting with the sideways force that would happen if friction was zero.

If the 300 kN is not enough to cause it to move then the side force could be zero.

Hi 3dDave,

Thank you for the info, to explain a little further which may help.
In the practical application I pull on the bottom wedge using a hydraulic cylinder in the 300kN direction, this moves and pushes the top wedge up, in order to control the movement it pushes against the plate highlighted by the vertical line on the wide side of the top wedge. I’m trying to work out how strong this plate needs to be, in my mind it doesn’t see a lot of force but I’m unsure how to calculate it.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back