Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weep holes for tubular structures

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybo11

Industrial
Sep 6, 2008
US
Ok, I give up. Where in D1.1 does it say tubular structures need weep holes? I can't find anything on it from AISC, either. Any AASHTO comments on it?

Application: A segmented arch pedestrian bridge, HSS 8x8x3/8" A588.

TIA,
Cybo

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I assume you intend to galvanize the structure. If you don't leave weep/drainage holes the closed sections will not be coated inside. In addition, they may blow up in the galvanizing bath.

If galvanised, they're required and if outside, I often supply them to keep trapped water to a minimum for freezing purposes. You can buy little plastic plugs made intentionally for drain holes.

Dik

Not Galvanized. Weathering steel A588 or as I should say A 847 for tubular shapes. The tube segments are approx 8'long and will be completely enclosed via welding. The only real consideration here is condensation inside the tube. I can't find anything to say this needs consideration.

For weathering steel, staining of surrounding concrete can occur... the assembly can be seal welded as hokie notes; I often put in drain holes just in case.

Dik

Weep holes are very common, can't recall if there's a standard that covers it, though. Experienced structural draftsmen will usually notate the preferred location, size, etc from what I've seen. Don't do a lot of structural these days, though. Someone else is bound to have a lot more info on this.

If this structure is located in a frost zone, you need drain holes.
The accumulated water apsix mentioned will bulge the tubes when it freezes.
B.E.

Bulge? Try RUPTURE- we've seen it.

Even if your welders are perfect, someone will later drill an attachment hole for some minor component on a horizontal top surface and there's your water ingress point.

If you're in a climate that EVER freezes, drill the holes!

I have never thought that randomly sized open holes in a structure that cannot be corrosion protected on the inside are a very good technical solution. It seems perverse that $m are spent on paint specs, grit blasting the outside of struuctures then leaving the inside open!!

Holes are never at the bottom and are often burnt rather than drilled.

As a non-structural engineer, if I were building my own house from hollow sections, I would drill and tap vent holes and use a threaded plastic plug. I would use the holes for inspection and for pressure testing if I was worried about water ingress. I would use the hole for introduction of a vapour phase inhibitor and for the location of a humidity indicator.

weep holes are must require for Galvanizing as a train vent to avoid the explosion at kittle during hot both. It is also require during chemical both(cleaning)before hot coating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back