Weight Measurement 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

amitpaul713

Mechanical
Sep 29, 2015
US
Hi All,

i have an assembly, I want to measure weight from the end to the middle (and not the full or individual part). Please help how can measure weight up to certain length (measurement taken from corner).

Think of an assembled box, and I need to measure the weight from the corner to the middle and not the whole thing. Please help how I can do that in Solidworks.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Paul

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can display the weight of selected components in an assembly by simply selecting them before you select the Mass Properties tool.
If that doesn't work for you do an Extrude Cut on the assembly. Just cut away the part you don't need.

Why do you want the weight of just a part of your assembly? Are you trying to locate the center of gravity or determine the load on a support point? Solidworks already gives you the information you need to calculate that using a free body diagram without having to cut anything.

Thank you for the information. Yeah I intend to do that because I have a rotating component in the middle, So need to know the weight of the lower portion/ rest when the positions are changed. Kind of difficult to explain.

Regards,
Paul

Maybe you can save the whole asm file into a x_t file. Remove all the features, then cut the half to it, measure the weight.

Why not just sketch a box around the half you wish to remove and do an assembly cut feature instead. Suppress the rotating part(s) if you need to. Then you can use Mass Properties directly to get the weight provided you have accurately defined the materials of all the components in the assem. It would seem to me though that you could get what you want without having to do that, just by looking at the CG, Axes and Moments of inertia. but then again, im not sitting in your chair ;)

Regards,
Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back