Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weight of COmponent

Status
Not open for further replies.

cncprogrammer

Mechanical
Sep 25, 2003
US
I have a seeming simply question to answer about a component part of an assembly. The part is currently made from 17-4 S.S. I was asked what the weight reduction would be if made from Ti-6AL-4V. Under the analysis pull down menu I have run mass properties and have a set of values. How do I take what I've been given for a mass measurement and convert it to weight while considering the different densities of the materials?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Run the analysis on the part using the density of 17-4, change the density to that of Ti-6AL-4V, and run the analysis again. You change the material density under preferences -> modeling. Mass = weight.

Thxs for the help. I found and changed the field you spoke of but it kept holding the same resultant when I rechecked the mass. Dug a little more using same thoughts and found under the edit menu that I could change the density there for the particular solid. This did update the resultant. Thanks again! - Got it.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back