Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Weight of concrete

Status
Not open for further replies.

graduatequestions

Structural
Mar 6, 2008
GB
Does anyone know of a way to cheaply increase the weight of concrete?

Its not a strength issue so I don't want to increase the grade or anything. Are there certain aggregates that increase the weight without affecting the grade?

Any help would be appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We made high density CMUs for shielding at nuclear plants and around hospital X-ray rooms using an iron aggregate (hematite, if I remember correctly), but it was not cheap as aggregates go, but on the bottom line of the construction costs the aggregate was the most economical solution.

With refined metals (lead, etc.) there are bonding and gradation problems.

Dick

I also neglected the particle shape and surface effects of some processed minerals.

It can be a challenge if you want both strength and other physical properties.

Dick

Concrete secured ballast in ships uses steel pieces of rebar for 30-50% of the large aggregate. Taconite aggregate ore from Minnesota is heavy also.

Slag is just a by-product and the properties are extremely variable. The valuable slag is lighter.

Most slag does not have the density of solid aggregate.

Taconite has the density, but the individual particles are spherical and do not lend themselves to very high concrete densities.

Dick

instead of steel use depleted uranium :) its super dense and is what the military uses in armor piercing rounds to pierce through steel.

as for the cost...i have no clue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back