Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

weight of glacial till

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaeljp

Civil/Environmental
Feb 28, 2007
US
I cannot find answer to what the weight per cubic yard, cubic foot, whatever - of Glacial Till soil in the Westchester NY area.

I see numbers in the 3,500 pound per cubic yard range, but the sources of that info did not specify if that was in-situ or fluffed up after excavation.

Again - that number of 3,500 # is useless to me bec I don't know if it's in-situ or fluffed up...

I just need a ballpark weight for estimating...not sure of water content - but I will take any assumptions necessary.

By site - the soil is very rocky - seive analysis shows lot of sand & fines mixed in - no clays.

Please help if possible.

Thanks

Mike

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Glacial till (around here)usually refers to a mixed-grain deposit, bottom moraine, well compacted. About as dense a soil as there is, although it could be high in fines so not necessarily the densest. I'd say about 135 - 145 pcf bulk density in place, maybe ~3800#/cy.

I was running 136-142 for "Boston Blue Clay, which is not clay, but Glacial Til.

Good Luck,

Rick Hassett, P.E.

R.A. Hassett, P.E.
rah1616@hotmail.com

Just to add, these values are most likely based on proctor tests. There are in the range of what we get in the Pacific Northwest. Till here is called hardpan, which implies a basal till compacted under miles of ice. In situ, values are likely much more than that, but when you're dealing with construction, the numbers reflect till that has been excavated and re-placed and compacted. Values given are about what we see, usually in the higher range, more like 140+, or 3800+ pounds/cy. Easiest way to find out is have a local lab run a modified proctor on it.

What's your application? Purchasing? Placing? There are other threads that address these issues if you're interested.

Best of luck.

In my experience Glacial Till is a 'catch-all' description for soils ranging from pure clay up to boulders. I think the definition is something like "an unstratified, unsorted material of glacial origin" and covers most stuff that doesn't have a more specific depositional environment, such as outwash sands and gravels, glaciolacustrine clays etc. I think a lot of people relate it to the older term 'boulder clay' and wrongly assume it is a clay.
The only real way to get an idea of its properties is to get hold of some and poke your finger in it....or in this case, weigh it.
Maybe that's why there are no published values?

Hi,

I am looking for free software or free spreadsheets to do earthworks calculations could anybody help me?

Any additional information as: E books or handbooks is welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back