Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weight of reducing tees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olesya

Industrial
Oct 19, 2017
BY
There is any formula to calculate the weight of reducing tee (carbon steel and stainless one)?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would compare it to the weight of a length of header pipe of whatever schedule you need equal to the length of the tee. Many of these sorts of tees are just made from a single length of header pipe and the hole made by pulling through a big ball.

Try comparing some to weights given by vendors.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Olesya said:
There is any formula to calculate the weight of reducing tee (carbon steel and stainless one)?
No, since the exact dimensions of a (B16.9) tee are not standardized, hence the exact weight may vary.

Olesya,
I don't know what you are doing when you need the weights for fittings, you did not tell us why you need this information.

I suggest you use the weight (from the above table) for a straight Tee and move on. Don't waste any more time trying to pick the fly specks out of the pepper

Sometimes its possible to do all the right things and still get bad results

Please remember that the tee of a given schedule is targeting a pressure rating and not a thickness. For this reason fittings are usually significantly thicker than the pipe they are attached to.

Smile at. Not sure whet your experience is but in petrochemical carbon steel land that is not correct. You order the same wall thickness as the pipe.

I agree with Smiles. Yes you order a fitting to match the pipe wall but that only means the weld prep matches not the wall thickness. The fitting code has no tolerance on fitting thickness/weight. Vendors can and do reduce inventory by stocking thick fittings and changing the weld prep when a lower wall is required.

This a is problem when weight and stiffness counts. E.g nozzle loads.

As ever the devil is in the detail, but it was the "usually significantly thicker" bit I was questioning. If you're ordering commonly used sizes, suppliers are not normally into the business of giving you more metal than they need to. Sure, if they have some fittings sitting on the shelf they will discount a thicker one just to shift it, but I think it is stretching it to say that this is "usual" unless you're trying to buy a sched 20 or some other really thin fitting.

suppliers probably buy a fixed range, sch 80 / STD, sch 160 and possibly one other thicker one as these would cover them.

So I take back the comment a bit - you would need to get the actual weight supplied each time to be sure exactly what it was you bought.

LittleInch, my context is pipe stress engineer in chemicals. The fittings are required to meet the pressure needs of straight pipe. So a S/Std 10" tee must meet the pressure and temperature requirements of the associated straight pipe. Based on X-ray analysis of maybe 3 or 4 piping systems I've seen tees and elbows as much as 20% thicker. I'd try not to design something so touchy that the weight variance on a forged fitting made a huge difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back