Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Weight range for main gate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tstruct

Structural
May 14, 2023
PK
I have to design columns for a main gate. There are 2 panels of the gate each 10 feet wide, 10 feet height and connected to a column on one side. I have attached a sample photo for understanding. I don't have any data about the weight of the gate, but it is going to be a metal gate. Not any special security needs to be considered here, it is just a normal gate generally used in buildings. My question is I need some safe practical range of weight for such gates to design the columns. Thanks

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2e7c23ad-7125-47bc-8973-395dc518da6c&file=main_gate_sample.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd say littleInch is about right there, my company make and manufacture some gates and the 2.4mx3m gates weigh 185kg or 343kg each depending on security level.
One other thing to consider along with the weight of the gate is will there ever be a live load on the end. British standards apply a 100kg point load to the end of the gate.
That would cover someone swinging on the end of the gate and perhaps you'd feel justified designing the gate post to less load but worth considering what a reasonable extra load would be.

That's for a solid gate as shown.

Hence why a lot of gates are bars and designs to reduce weight.

Also gaps will reduce your wind load by an OOM which I suspect will be one of your major defining loads.

Can't you ask the vendor?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

@LittleInch Thank you for your response. I would like to know either is it engineering judgement or past experience behind your answer?

@MHobbs Thank you for your response. What I understood from your answer is 343kg weight is the heaviest your company manufacture for the size you mentioned. It would be great if you can share some catalogue with these details or direct to some website if possible. Live load at the end is a good consideration and will take it into account.

Just a simple volume times density plus a bit of engineering judgement / experience.

There is though more to it than simple weight - wind and opening mechanism / gate stops come to mind.

At that size have you considered siding gates? If solid they will be difficult / a danger to open or close in a high wind.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back