Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weird display anomalies

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWISGR8

Mechanical
Oct 20, 2005
US
Anyone get weird video anomalies of inactive windows, usually the most recently active, popping up partially in SW and then going away with a click of the mouse? When I go to use SW OpenGL, goes away, which I have been told means it is the video card which I know is insufficient already, but has worked ok to this point. Is there any other possibility or experience by anyone else. When I brought it up to VAR, they didnt seem too recognize the issue.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have an NVIDIA Quadro NVS 290. It's terrible for SW as I understand, but we dont have terrible demand for video either and has worked well until now ... but this is all since SW2009.

I haven't had the problem, but it's definitely because of your card. You might try to see if there's a newer driver out for it.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP, Certified DriveWorks AE
CAD Administrator, Ultimate Survival Technologies
My Blog

Not that experienced with drivers, but our IT person sent the "latest" driver (which I concurred with as being latest per my research, which as it turns our seemed to be separated from our current by quite a few other "updates") for the card but there were even more weird things going on after "updating." And interestingly, prior to "updating", when I had it check for driver updates, it said there weren't any, and after "updating" I did it again and it found one and it was the one from which I had "updated." All the quotes are because it doesnt seem as though I really updated with the "updates." ... who's on first ?

Each new version of SW seems to place heavier demands on the graphics card. The NVS card is primarily a 2D card and as such is unsuitable for 3D work. You could try different drivers (old and new) but you will probably be seeing more and more graphics glitches as time goes on.

There are other options, but the best long-term solution is to replace the NVS with a SW 'certified' card and driver.

Thanks CBL, we (SW users @ company) have been on that track, but having difficult time convincing the necessary people and as I mentioned haven't been having too much trouble due to our lack of model/dwg complexity. But what you mention makes sense about the evolving increased demand on video which I wondered about. Thanks for the confirmation, will try to get some action here.

Thanks All

Often IT people do not understand the hardware reqirements for SW. The only way to eliminate the video card and driver as the source of problems is to use a tested and approved card, AND SW tested and approved driver (not neccessarily the latest) for your current install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back