Weld Deposit Hardess Testing Exemption - NACE SP0472 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinhhoan87

Mechanical
Dec 16, 2010
VN
Dear experts,
I just read the NACE SP0472 - Para.2.2.3. And I am wondering that how to specify the chemical compositon in weld deposit. Then I do not need to do hardness testing for the weld deposit hardness testing. Can you please help me out. Thanks all.
NACE_SP0472_ecnemp.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Match the filler wire composition as supplied by the manufacturer with the compositional restrictions mentioned in Table 2

DHURJATI SEN
Kolkata, India

All would meet A-1, but not all A-1 would me this requirement. You could have an A-1 WPS with .20C which would not meet this requirement.
Hardness testing is cheap, quick and easy. Why not do the test?

It has been a while since I dealt with NACE welding issues but from what I remember this is discussing hardness testing on production parts. Please correct me if I am wrong. We still had to perform the hardness survey on the weld test for the PQR but by restricting the weld filler chemistry we did not need to test each weld. It was pretty simple to put that restriction on the purchase of weld filler material.

The chemistry restriction is not on the weld deposit, just the filler metal. So on your purchase order for the filler metal you add that restriction, the supplier will probably add a bit to the price or maybe not depending on how much you purchase. When you get the filler you just need to review the cert before releasing it into the cage. We had no real complaint when we added the restriction to our ER70S-6.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back