Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weld Fixture Masking Materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

gski

Automotive
Sep 26, 2002
US
I am looking for your ideas as to the best material to use as masking on weld fixtures. Spatter is building up on our current masking material (metallic) creating downtime and quality issues. Any suggestion provided will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

there are proprietary anti spatter compounds available which you spray on the areas of concern that allow any deposited spatter be easilly removed. The product we used was called Protec available from a German company however there are probably a few similar products available now. Try contacting any chemical supply company in your area or go surfing on the Net.

One of the more interesting things I've heard of as an anti-spatter coating is a ceramic glaze. We heard about it from Rumble Automation (Missasauga, Ontario). They claim it works well and is very durable. I don't think it's something you can apply yourself but it seems like a good bet for high-volume production fixtures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back