Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weld gas mixer / manifold system

Status
Not open for further replies.

rd400guy

Materials
Jan 30, 2003
US
In the next few years, I'll be putting together my own weld shop, and was wondering about the possibility of building a gas manifold so I could selectively run argon, helium, CO2, oxygen, or nitrogen, or any mixture thereof. I'd probably use mass flow meters to control ratios. I imagine it the whole system could allow for fine tuning of gases for unusually delicate jobs. Can anyone think of any drawbacks or problems I'd encounter doing this? Or does somebody already offer such a system?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would carefully evaluate the economics of such a system as they can become quite expensive for utility gained.
We always found it cheaper to buy the gases premixed with only Argon and O2 piped around.

Take a look at this website and read about the shielding gases. This mainly about Mig and things but a lot holds true for other welding.

I have found mixing systems for Argon-CO2 to be quite effective. I have experienced horrible problems when mixing Helium & Argon and trimixes of Helium-Argon-CO2. I only purchase premixed gasses for the latter.

RD,

I have to echo the others when it comes to gases.Bulk systems are ok when it comes to ArCO2 mixtures. Personaly unless you have a call for it stick to pint of use tanks. The unusual jobs are few and far between. One point here, BEFORE you establish your shop investigate the cost of insurance. Here of late lots of shops are being hit with crushing rate increases. The more exotic services e.g. critical items such as piping and pressure vessels push up the price to prohibitive levels unless you have an established clientel and work backlog. Some well established shops are throwing or thinking of throwing in the towel... The best other advice I can give is:

1) Put together a clean and orderly shop with all safety considerations in mind. Organize your tooling and equipment to keep material handling to a minimum. A clean well set up shop with good lighting speaks volumes about you as a craftsman.

2)Analyze your needs as far as equipment goes and buy the best you can readily afford keeping in mind that bigger is not necessarily better. Develop a sense of where your parameters will fall and stay in that region. If you find yourself lacking for that one special job, evaluate leasing a unit short term with maybe an option to buy with part of the lease applied to the cost.

3) Watch the auctions for shops going out of business to pick up occasional good deals on wire consumables and tools. I bought a Buggo track torch and 16 foot of rail for 350.00 2 years ago. In fact I purchased a number of things paying about 20 cents on the dollar. That being said I wish you the best on your endeavour.

This is the basic approach Ive used to put together a selection of 2 power supplies a wide range of consumables and tooling. At this point I am planning a purchase of a plasma cutter and Im looking at upgrading my Miller Maxstar 200 to a Dynasty unit to get the AC side of things. You wont believe the number of folks who want aluminum welding done...

Steve

I guess it depends on:
1>>>How many weld stations you intend to outfit.
2>>>Do all the weld stations have 'Total flexibility'?
3>>>How much total shielding gas thruput?
3a>>How much of each gas?
4>>>Does your intended market indicate the shielding gases >>>>you need or are you just at the 'feel good' approach >>>>and therefore feel it would be good to have mixers at >>>>every station capable of dealing with any mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back