Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weld Inspection - Backing Bar Removal Req'd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

albanyYEM

Structural
Feb 17, 2015
US
I have detailed a welded moment connection between steel column and beam flanges with backing bars. I have also shown for the backing bars to be removed and the welds to be back gouged and re-welded as necessary. However I'm thinking this is overkill as the project has been designed with R=3. Therefore I am entertaining leaving the backing bar in place. My question is this: Is the backing bar required to be removed for verification/testing of such a weld or is it ok to leave in place if this is a joint not specifically detailed for seismic resistance with R=3?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is not necessary to remove the backing bar for testing. It is slightly more of an issue with radiography than with ultrasonic testing but proper source and film placement can alleviate such. Proper interpretation of either test method is imperative, so check the qualifications of the technicians involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back