Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weld material Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveK4

Mechanical
Jan 16, 2005
US
I recently received a weld procedure from a fabricator that specified the use of Er70s and E7018 for welding 1.1% Chrome pipe. It has been my experience that Er80s-B2 and E8018-B2 are the correct materials for this type of weld. When questioned the fabricator sent an article recommending downgrading fillers, however all the evedence presented was for Partial Pen. welds not full. Any thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What does the Code and/or specification you are working with stipulate? Has the procedure been qualified and, if so, does the PQR (WPAR)demonstrate that the procedure can meet the Code/specification requirements?

Steve Jones
Petroleum Development Oman LLC
Muscat
Sultanate Of Oman

Code is ASME B31.1/Section I, There is no specification by my customer other than meeting code requirements. There is no PQR at this time and before I spend the customer's resources to run one, I was hoping to get some input from others who may have used a similar procedure.

I understand that PQR is necessary to meet code requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back