Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

weld on weld

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajat84

Mechanical
Dec 13, 2007
GB
I am designing a heat exchanger (nuclear) where I have tubesheet circulating around the shell.

Tube sheet is connected to shell using filet weld. Part of the fillet weld also passes from through the longitudinal seam creating weld on weld situaition.

Vessel is designed to ASME VIII Div.1 and what I was propsing was to do NDT examination (dye pen) at the cross joints ??

As this vessel is to be used in nuclear I am bit worried as is it a safe route on weld examindation and is this method acceptable to ASME.

Thanks for reading and advice are greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

asme code requires a seam that is crossed by attachment be 100% radiographed in the area crossed.

Thaks RCHandy and Vesselfab,

I have reviewed UG-82 (ASME VIII Div.1, 2008 Ed) and with regards to 100 % radiographic requirement on the area crossed. Is it the part of the code or G.E.P.?

The reason for me to ask is the way tubesheet goes around shell. I have also attached the figure for further reference.

Kind Regards
Rajat84

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=cb861e40-3f1a-48ed-a0c8-c96a59e85515&file=welds_on_weld.doc
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back