Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weld Procedure Qualification

Status
Not open for further replies.

humbug

Industrial
Jul 18, 2002
US
I have a requirement for a project forthcoming in which our company would like to use the FCAW process.

We have in Stock a piece of 16" Cr Pipe, S100 (1.031"w), SA335-P22
The coupon would be welded in the 1G (Rotated) position.
We would like to run one coupon and split it half so that one piece would be PWHT'd and the second piece would be in the As-Welded condition.

In looking at ASME Section IX, QW-463.1(d) and 463.1(e) the referenced locations for specimen removal are based on the coupon being in the 5G or 6G position.
My thought process is that since the coupon is welded in the 1G position that the specimen removal requirements would come from QW-463.1(a) or 463.1(b).

Our Lab that performs our testing is refuting our thought process on the basis that we are welding a pipe coupon not plate.

I have not bee able to find an Interpretation on this subject.

Comments, thoughts and rationale would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why make life so difficult? ASME permits one to qualify the WPS in the 1G. The WPS can then be applied to plate, structural shapes, or pipe and tubing. Things get dicey when notch toughness comes into play due to requirements imposed by the construction code.

I think you need to use a different laboratory for consulting services. Their expertise is not in welding engineering.

Best regards - Al

The lab is incorrect. You can qualify the procedure in the 1G with and without PWHT, as you suggested. Review Section IX - QW-255.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back