Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weldability of Inconel 713

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matlsguy

Materials
Jun 1, 2006
US
Hello,

Probably to no ones surprise we are experiencing problems with welding In 713. Cracks are showing up on xray in the heat affected zone (HAZ)for about half the parts we weld. I'm taking it upon myself to fix this problem. My question is are In 713 alloys more suceptible to Strain Age Cracking or Liquidation Cracking. The ASM Welding Handbook suggests that in these alloys Strain Cracking may be more likely, but we are detecting cracks in xray prior to the post-weld stress relieve heat treatment. Thanks for any info.

Regards,

Matlsguy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unfortunely the article:

WELDABILITY OF NI-BASE HEAT RESISTING SUPERALLOY --MAIN CAUSE OF WELD CRACKING IN HEAT AFFECTED ZONE OF INCONEL 713C

isn't free. Does the author suggest some pre-weld heat treatments. I found some heat treaments for IN 738 (Soln at 2100 F for 2 hours and over-age at 1800 F for 20 hours). Could these heat treaments be applied to IN 713C? I realize it is important to get these alloys in the softened condition prior to welding. Thanks for any info.

Best Regards,
Matlsguy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back