Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welded Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzzbromp

Civil/Environmental
Jul 26, 2006
US
I am wondering if this connection is considered fixed or SS. Originally, it was a bolted connection, a beam with angles bolted to its web and the web of the beam it was bolted to. Due to existing conditions (heavy corrosion around the connection), constraints around the area, etc, one foot of the beam had to be cut out at the connection. So, to reconnect this beam, a plate was welded to the two beams. The plate lapped the cut beam and was a tee weld to the supporting beam. (I know there are better ways to reconnect rather than welds, however, due to existing constraints this was deemed the best solution). For the lap weld, I believe it is stressed in vertical shear and torsion from the reaction to the centroid of the weld.

For the T-weld, I am wondering if this is only vertical shear, or if there is bending stress in addition. The beam has its flanges free (not connected to anything), so the where the beam is being supported it would be pinned. The Plate extends this beam another foot and is welded all around. I would think this would see some bending, but if that is the case, then the beam as a whole would have a hinge at where the W-beam ends?

I suppose the same example would be, if you coped a beam 1 to 2 feet away from its welded connection, would it be SS, fixed, or Partially Fixed? For a normal coped beam that has its web welded to the support, it is considered SS?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Buzzbromp,

I would consider the whole thing (past and present configurations) simply supported as there was and is no connection of the flanges from the teed-in beam. That is not to say that there *is* no moment on the welds, it just means that I would conservatively not rely on the connection to resist any moments.

Anyone disagree?

Jeff

Buzzbromp,
Without knowing the exact configuration of your structure, I would guess that moments in the connection would be limited by the torsional capacity of the supporting beam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back