Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

welder certificates 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb29510

Geotechnical
Oct 3, 1999
US
As a CWI, welder certificates are required on each project I do. I been getting a lot of counterfeit / fake certificates over the past couple years that have one thing in common. They are all coming from the same company. That also doesnt have a location address. Its probably a side job for someone that works in a fab shop.

The errors are so basic, you can tell they wasnt written by a cwi. It like somebody stole a stack of forms and a CWI stamp.

What does one do?

master ICC inspector, AWS CWI

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why do you need to accept them? I assume that you work for the company employing the welders and you should be able to force the welders with questionable certs to re-qualify under your company's papers.

Hello everybody:

I absolutely agree with weldstan. Because of the doubt, why not perform the tests as established by the codes and standards under the supervision of a CWI of your company? Maybe yourself?

El que no puede andar, se sienta.

BB2950 may be a special inspector employed by the building owner or a building inspector employed by the municipality and the welders are employed by a contractor.

what I do, I inspected shopping malls and schools as they are being built. so usually a different crew on each project. Jobs usually last a couple weeks. they are suppose to submit all the paperwork weeks in advance. I usually see it second or third day out. they are not going slow down for paperwork. My question is: isnt there some code of ethics deal with all these coming from same location. I dont think the testing CWI had anything to do with it, i feel its the steel erectors and a copy machine.

master ICC inspector, AWS CWI

Unfortunately, AWS has no power to police industry. It is the Engineer's responsibility to review and approve previous qualification. If there is any question about the validity, it the Engineer's prerogative to reject evidence of previous qualification.

It is the verification inspector's responsibility to monitor the welder's technique and verify the welds meet the acceptance criteria of the welding standard. If they fail to measure up, they are simply noncompliant. Once again, it is the Engineer's responsibility to determine whether the noncompliant welds can be used "as is" or whether repairs must be made.

The verification inspector is nothing more than the Engineer's eyes and ears on the project site. If too many welds are judged deficient, it is the Engineer's call to require the welders to requalify. It usually leave a bad taste in the contractor's mouth if the verification inspector says, "I want your welders to requalify and I can do it for XX dollars." It is better for everyone involved if the Engineer makes the call. When requalification is required, it is better to bill the Owner for the cost to avoid the appearance of a conflict of interest. If the Owner isn't willing to pay the cost of requalifying, it is best the tell the contractor to use a different inspection agency than the one performing the verification inspections. Again, the appearance of a conflict of interest leaves a sour taste with everyone involved.

Best regards - Al

All applicants may present impressive documents during job application. And for welders, these documents are just secondary. Welders always have a Trade Test in order to prove their welding skill.

With regard to the fake certification, I think the company involve must be informed that there where false documents that have been circulating with respect to Welders Qualification Test documents. They must be aware that their company was being used and it should be stopped. I think there's nothing wrong with that.

If you are the interviewee, it is your right to question the applicant if you have doubts with the documents that they are submitting.

Conclusion:
If you have doubts over the submitted document, you may reject the applicant or you may accept but he/she will undergo a Qualification Test. If he/she passed the test, it will be you decision if you will hire them or not. If the welders will be coming from a contractor, you have the right to question the credibility of the contractor with regard to the documents and welders they were providing.

I believe that there's always a need for a trade test in every project especially for the new employee (welder).

Note: This is my own opinion with regard to the matter.
(Please refer to ASME IX - Welder Performance Qualification

QW-322 EXPIRATION AND RENEWAL OF QUALIFICATION

QW-322.1 Expiration of Qualification. The performance qualification of a welder or welding operator shall be affected when one of the following occurs:
(a) When he has not welded with a process during a period of 6 months or more, his qualifications for that process shall expire; unless, within the 6 month period, prior to his expiration of qualification
(1) the welder has welded with that process using manual or semiautomatic welding, under the supervision and control of the qualifying organization(s) that will extend his qualification for an additional 6 months
(2) the welding operator has welded with that process using machine or automatic welding, under the supervision and control of the qualifying organization(s) that will extend his qualification for an additional 6 months
(b) When there is a specific reason to question his ability to make welds that meet the specification, the qualifications that support the welding he is doing shall be revoked. All other qualifications not questioned remain in effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back