Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welder Continuity

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul85

Mechanical
May 23, 2015
SA
Gents ,
As per ASME Section IX ,QW -322,when welder has not welded with a process during a period of 6 months or more his qualifications for that process shall expire: unless within the 6 month period , prior to his expiration of qualifications .In my project welder is qualified in GTAW process with F number 6 (F6) & F number 43 (F43).As per ASME IX continuity is renewed based on the process welded .My Question is during the continuity renewal time whether separate joint NDT report is needed for F6 & F43 ,Because F number is essential variable for welders .???

Regards,
PJ

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

blaqesmith,
Please do not post incorrect information.

QW-322.2 Renewal of Qualification.
(a) Renewal of qu a l i f i c a t i o n expired under
QW-322.1(a) may be made for any process by welding a
single test coupon of either plate or pipe, of any material,
thickness or diameter, in any position, and by testing of
that coupon as required by QW-301 and QW-302. A successful
test renews the welder or welding operator’s previous
qualifications for that process for those materials,
thicknesses, diameters, positions, and other variables for
which he was previously qualified.

Renewal is based on the process, not on the specific material,
Regards,
DD

Dear DekDee ,

I understood your reply .Essential variable for welder means to change in a welding condition which will affect the ability of a welder to deposit sound metal as per As per ASME Section IX QW 401.2. As per ASME Section IX ,QW -322 renewal is based on the process .suppose as per site conditions there is no welding for F43 (GTAW) for next 10 renewals ( ie 5 years) but welding only for F6 (GTAW) & renewal is done for GTAW (F6).My question is in such situation whether the welder will be capable to make sound weld metal in F43 .

So what I mean to say that during renewal process shouldn't we take into consideration all the essential variables .

Regards ,
PJ

PJ,
That is the reason why it is based on process.
If you take GTAW there is very little difference between all materials when it comes to the welders ability.

Any differences between welding F6 and F43 are governed by the WPS - the welder uses the same technique for both. (maybe heat inputs / interpasses are different but they are still governed by the WPS)
Hope that helps,
Cheers,
DD

Dear DekDee ,

I understood your reply .As per your reply welder using same technique for both F6 & F43 in GTAW process & difference between welding F6 & F43 are governed by WPS.My question is then why welder to make separate test in F43 ..?? Once welder qualified in F6 , welder will be capable to make sound metal in all F number with respect of GTAW process...???

Regards ,
PJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back