Welder Failure Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

LB_FLO

Mechanical
Jan 17, 2024
GB
Hello,

We have an experienced welder who has recently had a issue with pipe butt welds failing NDT. (Lack of fusion, tungsten ingress)

These failures occur in smaller sizes of pipe, 0.5"NB to 2"NB. He has no issue with larger pipe sizes. Material has genereally been 304/316 stainless steel.

Has anyone experienced this or have any insight on what could be causing these issues?

Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Either he isn't using the correct set up for small sizes or I would suspect vision issues.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

I'd find another welder and tell him "Hey, watch this first guy, see if you see what the problem is."
I've heard welders talk about having less steadiness in their hands when older as compared to younger, so have to brace hands on something when they didn't need to in former days.
It could be some of the equipment having issues as well; out of calibration or whatever.

In addition to the above, before having a welder removed or sacked I will request the Welders Supervisor sit down with the welder and discuss the welders personal life. Are they OK ?
A broken marriage, a sick child, a death in the family etc can all affect the state of mind of a person which will in turn affect their ability to perform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back