Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welder Qualification - Essential Variables API 1104

Status
Not open for further replies.

perruolo

Petroleum
Mar 22, 2012
SA
Gents

It can be a silly question and I am sorry for that.

Our WPS indicate the use of Rod ER80S-Ni1 (AWS 5.28)and electrode E8018-C3H4R (AWS 5.1). Which filler metal group is applicable for these electrodes?
Table 1 (API 1104) makes reference to specific types of electrodes (Group 3: E8018 & Group 5: ER80S-D2) indicating in the footnote that other electrodes, filler metals and fluxes may be used but require separate procedure qualification.

I interpret that ER80S-Ni1 doesn't belong to group 5. am I wrong??

What about a welder qualified using this type of electrode??? if he change to anyone different should he be re-qualified?

Rgds

MP

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi
For Filler metal, your interpretation of API1104 is correct. ER80SNi doesnt come under group 5 electrodes. This classification comes under FootNote of Table-1 which says
Note: Other electrodes, filler metals, and fluxes may be used but require separate procedure qualification.
Ofcourse this electrode would need a new procedure qualification.
As far as Welder Qualification is concerned. API maintains only one essential condition in regards with Filler material:
A change of filler-metal classification from Group 1 or 2 to Group 3 or from Group 3 to Group 1 or 2 (see Table 1).
So except above change in filler material, any other change does not require a re-qualification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back