Welder Qualification

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPSK

Materials
Apr 26, 2012
AE
Dears,
I have a small query. If a welder is qualified in API 5L Gr.B does he can able to weld for API Gr.60 & API Gr.65 Materials. Is there any restriction due to Filler Metals.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi MrPSK[peace]

At first check spec/std requirements and related essensial variable for welder qualification.

If your reference is API, it is too easy just surch it??!!

According to API 1104, material group is not essential variable and if you meet other variable welder qualification is not required.

It shall be consider that acc. To API, welder qualification shall performed based on previously qualified procedure which support your material.

If he has qualified to API 1104, then he has to pass a separate qualification test for API 5L Gr. 60 and another one for API 5L Gr. 65.

API classifies the material into groups depending on their specified minimum yield strengths and changing of the material is considered an essential variable.

While in ASME IX, I believe that the group material difference does not require re-qualification.

Regards,

Inchtain,
I think you are getting confused with procedure qualification.
See Clause 6.2.2 Essential Variables - change in material is not essential for welder qualification,
Cheers,
Shane

Yes, you are right.

However, you have to know that API 1104 requires that the welder qualification has to be done following a WPS/PQR that support your welded material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back