Welders SMAW/FCAW 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

xuanthien

Mechanical
Mar 27, 2013
VN
Dear Sirs,

My welders qualified SMAW/FCAW process, SMAW use for Root pass only. This welders can weld full FCAW process with backing or not.
Code Apply: ASW D1.1

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It depends on how they were qualified to begin with.

If the welder qualified SMAW with backing, then backing must be used. If the welder qualified without backing, i.e., open root, he is qualified with or without backing. By the way, a PJP groove is considered to be welding with backing. If the joints is back gouged and welded from the second side, it is considered to be welded with backing.

The same holds true with FCAW. Qualified without backing, i.e., open root, the welder is qualified with or without backing.

If the root bead is deposited without backing and without the benefit of a back gouge operation, then the welder must be qualified for open root, i.e., no backing. If the root is deposited with SMAW and then the intermediate weld beads and the cover layer is deposited with FCAW, the welder can be qualified for FCAW with backing. However, the welder must be qualified with SMAW without the benefit of backing.

Best regards - Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back