Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welding 16Mo3 / P11 or P22 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kdolph

Chemical
Oct 16, 2012
CL
Hi,

At the drum level measurement we have a DN25 connection available, the material of that piping is 16Mo3 EN10216-2 1.5415. We want to install another level measuremnet systems. For this purpose we have to weld some pipes to this connection. The only material available we have is P11/T11 13CrMo4-5 & P22/T22 10CrMo9-10. Is It possible to weld this material with some procedure to the 16Mo3 materials.

I attached a excel table for comparison of materials:

Regards,

Adolfo

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, you can weld the low alloy 16Mo3 to P11 given a proper qualified WPS with preheat. The WPS will require qualification of similar base materials, using ASME B&PV Code, Section IX, P11 is P- No4 base material. For the 16Mo3, it is probably closer to a P-No3 base material.

Thanks for your answer metengr,

I have antother question. Is it specified in ASME IX, or other document, the procedures for welding to materials with diffrent P-No. if it is possible.

ASME Section IX does not address "how to" or compatibility of welding between materials. All this code section provides is guidance on how to qualify a weld procedure and welder. I believe your approach would be to perform an internet search and look at information on welding the two base materials. You need to decide on the welding process, filler metal (match to one or the other base material), preheat and post weld heat treatment requirements.

As far as a welding procedure specification (WPS), you will need to qualify a procedure and this will be based on information obtained from your internet search. My suggestion is to also discuss your project with someone in your organization or outside who is knowledgeable about welding ferrous materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back