Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Welding 205 Stainless

Status
Not open for further replies.

dieselofdog

Materials
Feb 11, 2014
AU
I have a small job to repair some cracking on an impeller cast from 205 Stainless.

What filler material is recommended and shielding gas (Ar+Nitrogen?) GTAW process.

Cheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since the original alloy should contain about 0.35% N I would weld with 5% N in the weld gas.
The 209 filler is the right one, though 219 could be used.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

It is not considered a true. PH stainless steel. The increase in strength is from nitrogen added and not through PH heat treatment.

This is a 200 grade, with Mn subed for some of the Ni, like the Nitronic alloys.
These alloys usually rely on N for strength and corrosion resistance.
They don't age harden, but they work harden like crazy.

I really appreciate your input. There is not much information on the this material. This link was the only info I could find that indicating PH properties and can be aged. I was sceptical.

To improve the life of the impeller was thinking of using ER2209 to rebuild the mechanical damage caused by cavitation. Schaeffler diagram is indicting this will be fine. Just need to keep dilution to a minimum. Do you guys see any issues with this formula? Am getting some test plates cast for a PQR.

The ER2209 is filler metal for DMW's including 304 or 316. You may not gain much with the ER2209 versus ER2XX filler metal. Did you evaluate the UTS for the ER2XX series filler metal? 100Ksi minimum.

209 will work well, but 2209 is another story.
It will be difficult to make sure that the duplex stays duplex with even a little weld dilution.
If you get an region with significant dilution it will likely form detrimental secondary phases when it cools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back