Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Welding 310 stainless steel with ER308/308L

Status
Not open for further replies.

pete73

Mechanical
Nov 11, 2020
US
Has anyone welded 310SS material with 308SS filler metal?

The shop unknowingly welded 310SS heads with ER308/308L filler metal. The heads were supposed to be 304SS. The unit was complete before this was found. De-seaming the weld is not practical.

Design temperature is below 1000°F.

What could be the effects of leaving the 308SS filler metal?

Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Whereas the design material is 304, you can make the weld with ER/E 308(L). One must ask, is 310 acceptable? If you are the purchaser, you could always reject the heads.

You're not getting a lot of responses so I'll offer my NON expert opinion. I do know that 310SS has a high nickel content which improves it's high temperature corrosion resistance. That same high nickel content also improves it's weldability. In fact, most fancy welds anything including mild steel, cast iron, and SS welding rods like Super Missile Rod are simply repackaged 310SS rods.

With this knowledge I would make the assumption that 310SS should be weldable with 308 and exceed the corrosion resistance of 304.

Take this with a grain of salt. I don't have the expertise to confirm these statements.

Because 310SS and 308SS filler metal have different alloy compositions, welding 310SS material with ER308/308L filler metal may cause problems. Although the impact may be minimal in your case because the design temperature is below 1000°F, it's still important to take into account possible effects like decreased mechanical properties and corrosion resistance. Gaining additional understanding of the weld quality may be possible through non-destructive testing or consulting with a metallurgist.

Speaking of which, the LW series from HEatSign is a great option if you're searching for a dependable handheld laser welding machine. These devices have strong builds, extended lifespans, and functional features. They are perfect for both small and large projects, with adjustable parameters for a range of applications and a small, industrial-friendly design. Plus, efficiency is guaranteed by the integrated water cooling system.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=1e49984f-a620-4cc7-a534-c265b34cb1d0&file=Handheld-Laser-Welding-Machine.pdf
What is the shell? 310 as well? Is your design temperature up to 1000F? or a ways below it. You could be in the sensitization range, in which case the 308L won't be as resistant to sensitization as the 310.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back