Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welding after hydrotest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Industrial
Sep 25, 2003
VE
Would it be permissible to weld non pressure parts to the interior of a vessel after hydro testing when not subject to PWHT?
I know that UG- 99 a.1 indicates that all fabrication should be complete before hydrotesting, but does this not apply only to pressure envelope?

Thanks for any information

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What exactly are you referring to when you say the interior of the pressure vessel surface? If you are welding a non-pressure part directly to the vessel wall (the pressure boundary), the answer is re-hydrotest to meet the requirements of UG-99.

If you are adding trim that is not welded directly to the vessel wall, this can be done with approval from the AI.

Dear metengr,
Why do you think AI should be consulted for this?
Only reason i could think is, this additional attachment may affect structural integrity of vessel. Just curious.
Thanks.

Yes, the AI should be aware of any type of weld repair activity (especially after post hydrotesting). I had come across one situation where an internal, non-pressure part attachment was inadvertently missed on a vessel. The hydrotest was completed. The AI was consulted and they allowed the attachment to be welded (not bolted) after the hydrotest because the attachment was a non-pressure part and was not directly welded to any pressure boundary of the vessel (it was considered trim).

mw25:

Why not ask? Keep yourself out of trouble.It may be simple as a phone call. If this does not take place it raises questions about your entire program. Do audits and hold points ring a bell?

Remember who the last guy to sign the Data Report is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back