Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Welding Anchor Bolts from the top, protruding through angle

Status
Not open for further replies.

sengr

Structural
Jul 9, 2002
US
Hello all. Is it okay to field weld anchor bolts protruding through holes?

So I have a situation that required installing anchor bolts first, then field weld an unequal leg angle to the anchor bolts. Say I am using an unequal leg L4x8x1/2, with the long leg being vertical. I am installing 4 anchor bolts, then 4 holes would be drilled through the 4" leg, with the 4" being horizontal. Then I will weld the anchor bolts, with the shanks protruding through the 4 holes. Then I would plug weld the holes. Next I would inject high compressive strength grout from the near side and from either side of the end of the angle. My question is: would the plug weld be possible, with the anchor legs protruding through the 4" horizontal leg? I do not have a sketch but if you guys needs it. I can draw it up and post it later. Thank you in advance. Have a great weekend. Cheers.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Where did this detail come from?
What is the function, and loading of the 4X8 inch angle ?
What style are these anchor "bolts?" I'm guessing that they present threads intended for nuts to secure whatever is above.
Epoxy or mechanical of some kind?

Welding "anchor bolts" invites changing the steel's metallurgy to some degree, and perhaps outright ruining epoxy set anchors.

Your choice of "high compressive strength grout" hints at the angle being subjected to some significant loading, I'm (again) guessing the load is applied via the vertical 8" leg of the angle. If the loading is anything but vertical perpendicular to the 4 inch leg, "into" the grout, the angle will be pried off the grout to some degree, and the lack of anchor clamping from preload may be sorely missed.

Need more info and a sketch. Plug weld doesn't make sense from you description. Assuming I understand your approach, it would be a fillet weld around the bolt. If high strength bolt, as Tmoose notes, the metallurgy will be affected and potentially adversely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back