Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welding calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russell10

Structural
Oct 16, 2019
US
Hey Guys,

I have been dealing a lot with calculations on welds. Mostly fillet welds and what not, but have run into other types of weld calculations that I need. Anyway I am just looking for good books were I can find formulas to prove whether or not welds will hold. I've reviewed P.E. stamped calculations, but usually get chicken scratch that is difficult to reverse engineer and doesn't make me confident enough to comfortably do the calculations myself. Any type of reference material you guys would suggest for someone trying to learn more about these calculations it is getting pretty frustrating waiting for calculations when I feel I can be capable of doing if I had material I was confident in instead of browsing the web. the American Welding Society I know gives standards, but am not sure it is what I am looking for in solving calculations.

I've researched and seen Design of welded structures by Blodgett, but also seen that that may not cover what I need? I am leaning on buying the AISC Steel Construction Manual would this help me in these types of calculations? I may just get it as a good reference for other engineering questions.

Thanks guys I really appreciate your responses as a engineer just entering the field.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you more after how to evaluate weld groups under combined moment/axial/shear?

Weld strength is a fairly basic calculation in most standards, determining what load the weld is under is sometimes the difficult bit? Is this what you are struggling with?

Piggybacking on Agent's comment, I suspect that you can get most of what you're looking for, in the US context, from the AISC specificcation which, unlike the AISC manual, you can get for free: Link. Section J2. It is pretty simple stuff for the most part. I've always meant to create a spreadsheet of all sizes of all kinds of weld for quick reference. Easy as that would be, I'm a couple of decades in and still haven't gotten 'round to it.

I found this site Link which has a lot of information and I formulas for different welds / configurations. I found it helpful as someone moving from the residential world to the commercial side of things. You can even buy the calculation sheets but I've found the site more useful as a reference than anything else.

The Excel spreadsheet by Alex Tomanovich can take you a long way if the elastic method will suffice. Fairly easy to find. If you have a company file directory, there's a large chance it's already in there somewhere. For step-by-step examples of somewhat advanced weld calcs, I've found the methods shown in the AISC Seismic Design Manual (15th Ed.) to be quite helpful. Working through design example 5.3.9, on AISC SDM 5-259, will give you a useful step-by-step lesson on weld groups under combined stresses.

Side Note: One thing I noticed is that the older design guides and calcs use the section modulus (S), while some of the newer calcs use plastic section modulus (Z). It just depends on the case and your company preference.

Wow thanks guys some of these links are very helpful. Agent, I usually calculate an applied moment but occasionally have to shear or even axial applied loads. I appreciate your guys help I will continue to look at these resources and use them when I can thanks again for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back