Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welding Certifications and Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunthorn

Mechanical
Mar 7, 2003
US
In our facilty, we have 3 welders that are certified and are only authorized to perform the final tig welding of our products made from SS or titanium. The problem is that 2 are going to retire in the next 6 months. It will cost my company about $15,000 each for "independant certification" of new welders to say that they have acheived a certian "level of experience".

In addition each welder has to be certified to each product we produce due to military/defense requirements this runs about $8,000 per product. New weld schedules due to engineering changes also require recertifications. All this welding certification and sampling adds up cost over a year.

What would be required to bring this certification process in house. Our current source cuts several samples from the welded groove , encases them in acrylic and polishes the block to determine the weld penetrations and quality. We would like to impliment this process.

Any sugestions??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have to agree with GR this cost is way out there. I work with other defense contractors who perform the same type of welding and there is no where near the cost you describe. I have a feeling your on the right track here with wanting to integrate this internally or maybe you need a different source supplier.

Steve Dodd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back