Welding Electrodes or filler rod 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mettamadhan

Mechanical
Feb 24, 2011
SG
Hi,
Can anybody please tell me what is the basis for selecting a filler wire other than yeild strength.Does it have any relation with the parent metal and deposited weld metal composition.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Choosing a filler metal is a little more complicated than selecting based on yield strength.

Here are some basic question you you need to know and understand.

What is the metal or metals to be welded?

What are the dimensions of the weldment?

What type of current is available?

What are the required positions?

What is the fit up required?

Are any specific properties of the filler metal required?
Does the weldment have to meet any code or standard? If so do
you have procedures for using this filler metal?

One could elaborate on each of the above questions and add a few more, but this would get into writing a book.

if you are going to do a lot of selections you should get a copy of ASMF Section IX. Expensive but almost a requirement for most codes and standards.

At you welding supply house there are usually have booklets or guides available for a small fee that outline the selection of fillers metals based on their products.

Here are two very good inexpensive books from Lincoln Electric that cover some of the above along with welding in general.

New Lessons in Arc Welding and Metals and How to Weld Them from Lincoln Electric.

Yes. Chemistry of deposited fillermetal/electrode is an important selection criteria regarding strength, ductility, toughness, corrosion resistance, cracking resistance, etc.

Yes. The welding electrode IS the "filler metal" - deposited there as the molten combined mass of base metal, filler metal, and attached metal re-solidify.

I applaud your courage in asking questions about this industry. but please, before allowing yourself to to be led into making basic errors that threaten your company's projects, and the lives of the people building them and living under them, continue your education about this process in much, much greater detail and precision than a single internet board.

Whether the welding electrode is the filler metal depends on the process true for most except TIG. Although you do have to consider the flux part of electrode.

Dear racookpe1978 i completely agree with you. But the intention behind asking about this topic is to get a deep understanding from industry experts. Any way i assume my errors in selecting the electrode may cost some time but not lives of people because my errors will make the WPS fail so no chance of further damage..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back