Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Welding factors Titanium, Alloy20 and Hastelloy276

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Leendert;
Can you explain what is a labour norm? Are you asking about the time involved by a welder to weld the above materials with all conditions being equal?

Having been involved with such labour factors in the past, I found they are erratic at best when applied to welding - the estimates can vary in the extreme based on small changes in assumptions. This approach probably makes sense when making the relatively small step from carbon steel to stainless steel, for example, but titanium and superalloys are a whole different game. For example, titanium welding requires much more effort for shielding gas, specialized equipment, even a work area isolated from the other dirtier work going on. Inspection levels and repair rates also may be different. Personally I would be wary of this approach when stretched so far.

IMO a good source of information would be fab shops who base their factors on actual past experience.

brimstoner has it right, I'm afraid. This approach is doomed to failure, ESPECIALLY for titanium but to some degree for C276 and even A20. You could buy yourself a world of hurt by relying on this kind of estimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back