Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

welding fitting on suction reducer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vargaslu

Petroleum
Oct 26, 2009
VE
inspecting a skid mounted pumps for condensed gas, we found that the reducer accesorie on suction, has a welded fitting (sockolet with valve for drain) attached to. The QA QC inspector says that is not correct, because it isn´t permited to weld on any suction or discharge reducer, but he is not sure in what code is it written. My questions to you guys, are: Is that consideration written on some ASME code? or it is just a good practice?
thanks in advance for your comments

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Vargaslu, you wrote:
"The QA QC inspector says that is not correct, because it isn´t permited to weld on any suction or discharge reducer, but he is not sure in what code is it written."

He is not sure because it is not in any of the ASME B31 Piping Codes. Ask him to find it and show you the documentation.

Branch connections (i.e. for drain and vent connections) on reducers, elbows and tees are discourage but is not prohibited; however, the Designer must prove (i.e. by calculation) that the design is safe.

People put elbolets on elbows all the time. That's completely acceptable.

Someone needs to invent a reducolet to avoid further confusion.

Regards,

SNORGY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back