Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welding inside 18" and 20" Diameter pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunme

Mechanical
Jul 25, 2003
NG
I have a situation on one of my sites as the contractor was found welding inside a 20" pipe. The weld point is 2.7m from the edge of the pipe while the other end is inaccessible due to installed ISO Bundle. This in my view is an unsafe act, However to advise the contractor on the issue I am looking for standards that supports my action.

Could anyone advise such standards.
Best regards,
'Dunme.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As far as standards I'm not sure if there are any that directly cover welding inside the pipe. In the United States OSHA may have some regulations prohibiting this type of work if it is considered "confined space". Different Operating companies may also have some guidelines with respect to confined space entry.
Now depending upon which code you are welding to there may be some references to "back welding" inside of pipe. However, I believe API 1104 allows some back welding. I know of some instances of Operating companies allowing back welding down in pipe sections as far as 1100 feet.

This may not have been the response you were looking for but that's what I know.

ODEM

If the pipe line is vented and there is a man at the end of the pipe to pull the welder and gas detetor back out of the pipe-it can be done .

Like stated above back welding and repair is/was done all the time from the inside. There was a company that employed "Little People" welders to do such jobs. We used them several times on new construction and weld in service repair. The local power company has used them a number of times.

Pipeline inspection, mainly water line, and repair was also done by people on wheeled dollies. After inspection if the line need to cement lined the lining machine was run a man. The longest section we inspected and lined was 2000' portal to portal.

Anecdotal:
There was a weld repair at one power house that required that the welder be lowered 110' by his ankles to repair a 30" weld. All the Little People welders that I knew all drove either a Cadillac or Lincoln. Mostly they had people drive for them, their wives.

You don't state what you believe is unsafe about it? Yes, you do have confined space issues, but those are no different that if you are welding inside a 96" pipe, it still can be a confined space.

Quality might be another issue- it gets very awkward doing the work in a spot like that. I suppose it would help if you could rotate the pipe around while you welded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back